Shepherds Pie shouts Irish casserole! This recipe has been in my family for years and is always a good standby. It isn’t just for St. Patrick’s Day…it is a great week night meal.
Irish Shepherds Pie
Write a review
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb lamb
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 -4 large carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 glass red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup stock
- 6 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, beaten
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 400°
- Saute carrots in the olive oil until tender.
- Add in the onions and saute for a minute or two then add ground beef or lamb.
- Season with black pepper and thyme
- Brown and remove excess fat
- Add the butter and peas
- Sprinkle with flour and stir through the meat mixture
- Add tomato paste, wine and Worcestershire sauce
- Let this reduce slightly then add the chicken stock, allow to reduce down until you have a thick meaty gravy.
- Remove from heat.
- Grease an oven proof dish (9 x13 ) with butter and add the meat mixture
- Spoon or pipe the mashed potatoes over top.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if using.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are lightly browned on top.
Me and My Captain https://meandmycaptain.com/
[…] green and just in time for St. Patrick’s Day if you are not wanting to go the Corned Beef or Shepherd’s Pie route. […]