I make a beef brisket when I plan to make tamales and some of my enchilada recipes. I make it in the slow cooker, see the recipe under main dishes.
This recipe calls for the traditional shredded beef for the meat part of this recipe and the Crock Pot is the Cooker of choice. Low and Slow! Spread about 1/3 cup of the warm meat over each of the crisp shells. Top each tostada with lettuce, some diced avocado and tomato and/or salsa. Add sour cream and shredded Mexican cheese blend.
Be creative! Be daring! Be adventurous!
You may use whatever meats and choices of veggies you prefer on the crisp shell.
The following printable recipe is one the Captain likes a lot.
- 1/3 cup of warm ,shredded Brisket for each tostada (cooked ground beef or any meat of your choice)
- Eight 4-inch crisp corn tostada shells
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1 cup diced tomato
- Salsa of your choice
- 1/2 cup Mexican Crema or Sour Cream is a good substitute
- 4 ounces crumbled queso fresco cheese (about 1 cup) or finely shredded cheese of your choice
- Lime wedges, for serving
- You may make your own shells by frying corn tortillas in hot oil. Or you may purchase the tostada shells at your market.
- Assemble the ingredients in the order you prefer, being sure to spritz some lime juice over the avocado to keep from turning brown. (add a spoonful of salsa if desired)
- I use about 2 tablespoons lettuce, 1 teaspoon diced avocado, 1 tablespoon salsa and diced tomatoes per tostada
- Top with the sour cream or Mexican Crema and crumbled queso fresco or finely grated Mexican cheese.
- Garnish with chopped scallions for a pretty plate
- Place lime wedges on the side of the plate.
- Go wild with ingredients.
- When I lived in New Mexico, there was no right or wrong way to make tostadas as far as ingredients go. Use whatever is available at the time.
- But this recipe is a good basis!