Chilly weather and one’s thoughts drift to hot soups! Simple Easy comfort food.
I hope you like this recipe that I have been making for years. It is one of the Captain’s favorites!
I think I chose the wrong color bowl to show off the cheddar in the soup…;)
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Comfort soup at its best!
Write a review
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups chicken stock or bouillon
- 1/2 pound fresh broccoli
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Saute onion in butter. Set aside.
- In a heavy sauce pan, cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- (this is called making a roux).
- Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half
- Add the chicken stock whisking all the time.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and onions.
- Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- The soup should be thick.
- Add the grated cheese; stir until well blended.
- Stir in the nutmeg and serve.
- If you want your soup to not have lumps and chunks of broccoli and onion you may puree by pouring in batches into blender. If you puree, return to the pot and add the grated cheese.
- Either way this soup is delicious!
- You may add 2 tablespoons grated carrot as one of the ingredients...I like it either way.
Me and My Captain https://meandmycaptain.com/
Kari, my husband loves cream of broccoli soup and cheesy broccoli soup.
hey Sandy…I also like to make it thicker and put it on a baked potato…yum!