I came across this recipe for Italian Sausage Cacciatore and tried it and was I pleasantly surprised!
It is easy to make and has many flavors to test your taste buds.
You can use your favorite pasta, but I chose whole grain penne pasta.
One of the secrets is to use a jar of marinara sauce …but of course you can make your own marinara if you like.
Add a garden salad and toasted garlic bread…..Yummy!
I used the hot Italian Sausage and it is spicy…
I like spicy! 😉
Let me know if you try this and what you think of it.
- 1 pound of Italian sausage links, sliced (hot or mild)
- 1/2 cup of slided button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of sliced onions
- 1/2 cup of sliced green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup of sliced red peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of water
- 2 2/3 cups of whole grain penne pasta
- 1 24 ounce jar of marinara sauce
- Preheat large skillet on medium high heat for 2-3 minutes
- Add olive oil and then add the sausage slices, stirring to brown all sides.
- Remove the sausage and set aside
- Add the mushrooms, onions and bell peppers to the skillet and cook until soft
- Add the water and the pasta. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add the sausage slices back into the skillet and cook for 10 minutes, stirring ocasionally, but stir enough to keep the mixture from sticking.
- Cook until most of the water is absorbed and the pasta is al dente.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the marinara sauce and cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- Serve with a garden salad and you have a great meal.
- If you really want to enhance this meal...toast a few slices of garlic bread. I am getting hungry as I type this....;)