Sour Cream Coffee Cake is a wonderful recipe given to me about 40 years ago by a neighbor. Her name is Ruth Ann. I am not sure where Ruth Ann is… as I lost track of her years ago. The last I heard she had moved to Nebraska. I hate it when we lose track of people in our lives.
I have been making this easy coffee cake for years and I always receive rave reviews and recipe requests.
It is so simple to mix up the batter, and pour half of the batter into the baking dish.
Sprinkle on 1/2 of the cinnamon/sugar topping and the nuts
Add the remaining batter and remaining cinnamon/sugar topping and chopped nuts.
Bake in 350 degree oven and in 35-45 minutes you are eating warm coffee cake! Yum!
When this is baking in the oven, the smell of cinnamon makes you want to eat the whole coffee cake all by yourself.
So for the few who do not have this recipe from me…here it is.
I love coffee cakes! Especially a coffee cake made moist by sour cream.
Grab a cup of hot tea or coffee and enjoy!
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 carton (12 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cream butter with sugar
- Add eggs
- Mix until fluffy
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Add to dry ingredients gradually to creamed mixture
- Add sour cream, mix well and set aside
- Mix the sugars and cinnamon in small bowl and set aside.
- Pour half the batter into a 9X13 greased and floured baking dish
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the cinnamon mixture and 1/2 cup of the chopped nuts
- Pour remaining batter over the top of the nuts and top with the remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining nuts over the top
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the coffee cake.
- Ruth Ann gave me this recipe about 40 years ago and it has been a winner. There are box mixes that are similar but the sour cream in this recipe makes it moist and delicious.
- Definitely a winner at our house.