Oldie but Goodie Scalloped Potatoes…
This scalloped potato recipe has been around a long, long time.
It was always at any pot luck or family reunion as far back as I can remember.
And you know what?
It is just as good today as it was way back then…….:)
I have modified it a bit…you know added a little of this and a little of that!
But all the original flavors are still there, buried in this wonderful baked casserole.
I have several scalloped potato recipes…one in particular is the crock pot scalloped potatoes which is always a winner.
(You can find that recipe listed under the “sides” category on my Home page.)
But this oldie but goodie scalloped potato recipe is from my Grandma Alice on my Mother’s side!
I have added pepper jack cheese to the cheddar cheese and instead of 4 cups of heavy cream (as Grandma made this casserole) I use both heavy cream and half and half.
Wow! Grandma was such a great cook….
- 3 to 3 1/4 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 whole medium sized chopped onion
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup grated Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon smoky paprika (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter a 2-3 quart casserole dish.
- Heat butter in a large skillet or sauce pan.
- Add onions and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until they start to turn translucent.
- Add the half and half, cream, salt and pepper and stir well while over medium high heat
- Add the potatoes making sure the cream covers all the potatoes. (add a little more cream if necessary)
- Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are barely fork tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Using a large spatula or spoon, layer 1/3 of the potatoes with 1/3 of the cream sauce to the casserole dish
- Top with 1/3 of the grated cheeses
- Continue layering the potatoes, sauce and cheeses, making sure to save some of the cheese for the top of the casserole dish
- Using a baking sheet to catch any spill-overs...place the casserole dish on the baking sheet and sprinkle with smoky paprika
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
- When transferring the potatoes to the casserole dish, use a spatula to keep the potatoes from crumbling into tiny bits....;)
- You can use any cheese you prefer....
Please comment, I'd love to hear from you.