We’ve Come A Long Way!
As you all know, I started this Blog as a celebration of my Retirement: A New Journey One Day at a Time.
And from time to time I receive emails from friends passing on bits and pieces of information whether it be political, technical data, inspirational in nature or simply just funny cartoons.
I really laughed at the irony at the below joke:
Harold’s kindergarten class was on a field trip to their local police station where they saw pictures tacked to a bulletin board of the 10 most wanted criminals. One of the youngsters pointed to a picture and asked if it really was the photo of a wanted person. ‘Yes,’ said the policeman. ‘The detectives want very badly to capture him. Harold asked,”Why didn’t you keep him when you took his picture ?”
And this one…..telling isn’t it?
I recently received an e-mail that made me stop and reflect all that has transpired since I entered this world many years ago….and perhaps you can relate also.
I am not saying you are old, mind you…it is just technology that decided to have a burst of activity….and this technology is amazing!
The following are a few items that were not around 60 years ago…and that is not a long time. Although my grandchildren might think so. 😉
- television (which may or may not be a good thing)
- penicillin (Doctors don’t give these shots as freely as they once did)
- polio shots (is it recurring?)
- frozen food (french fries and corn are about the only frozen food I like)
- Xerox (some still don’t know how to spell it)
- contact lenses (available in every color for you…even if your eyes are a different color)
- credit cards (good or bad?)
- ball point pens (have you ever needed a pen and the ink is dried up?)
- panty hose (and now they are going out of style)
- air conditioners (good, …but why must movie theaters and restaurants warrant jackets in July?)
- dishwashers (well, other than me and my sisters)
- clothes dryers (now everyone wants to hang clothes on a line … for freshness)
- going to the moon…(literally!)
It was also brought to my attention, the following terms and the changes in their meaning over the years.
‘ “grass” was mowed
‘ “coke” was a cold drink
‘ “pot” was used to cook food
‘ “rock music” was a lullaby while rocking in a chair
‘ “Aids” were helpers in the Principal’s office
‘ “chip” meant a piece of wood
‘ “hardware” was found in a hardware store
‘ “software” wasn’t even a word.
Telephone booths have come and gone….and music has been on vinyl records, 8 tracks, Cassettes and CDs..or on FM radio.
But that is progress…I think!
One more thing that brought a smile to my lips and it came from Ellen DeGeneres, the comic.
Apparently, a new product came on the market some time ago and it was from the BIC ball point pen company.
There, in a special package are two ball point pens…. one pink and one purple….and the package label says “BIC for Her”
Sooooo I guess we have come a long way…especially women. We now have a pen just for us.
Or as Ellen DeGeneres said…all the other pens were obviously “Men Pens”!
Gee, what can be next for women?
Maybe a woman can be President….that is if she is able to handle her pink pen for women…. for taking notes of course. 😉
Have a good day…and remember to laugh!
It is good for your health and it isn’t even fattening! 😉