Summer Caprese…so simple to make and delicious to eat.
I grow my own Herbs…Basil, Rosemary, Cilantro, Chives, Parsley, Mint…you get the picture. I have pots of Herbs all over the Secret Garden.
I have hanging pots and sitting pots with these wonderful additions to any recipe.
I used to have a huge rosemary bush…and I mean 4 foot by 4 foot huge…growing in the ground in my Secret Garden.
I just loved the rosemary aroma when I brushed against the bush.
I lost the beautiful bush when one of the lawn workers thought it was a fast growing weed (perhaps to some it could be…) 🙂 and he pulled it up and had it tossed in the palm frond pile at the curb.
Had I been home, I would have tried to rescue it…but I was out running errands. 🙁
Since this was about the time the Captain was laying pavers in the Secret Garden…
I never bothered to replace the rosemary in the ground, I have it hanging from a tree branch in a hanging basket. And it is wonderful.
I have basil growing in a large sitting pot and when I need a few leaves, I just snip…always bringing any fresh herb to my nose for a smile induced sniff.
I actually grew cherry tomatoes last year, but I love the Farmers Markets down here and now I pick them up weekly when I make my foray to their stands.
This recipe just screams Summertime Salad….but it can also be used as an Appetizer…your choice.
Skewer olive oil coated cherry tomatoes, basil and mozzarella cheese for a perfect addition to your Summer meal.
I like to buy the mozzarella cheese in one of those cell packs that have a big rounded mound of cheese and some liquid….then I pull or cut off a piece the size of the cherry tomatoes and roll into a ball.
- 4 cherry or grape tomatoes
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, rolled into a ball
- 1/2 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- dash of salt (optional)
- Sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper
- 4 toothpicks or skewers
- In a small bowl, toss the cherry tomatoes, mozzarella cheese balls, basil, olive oil, salt and pepper. (I use my hands to coat each ingredient)
- Using a toothpick or skewer, place a cherry tomato, basil leaf, mozzarella ball, basil leaf, and finally end with another cherry tomato.
- I make 4 for the Captain and I...however, you can make as many as you prefer, depending on how many people you are serving.
- I like to buy the mozzarella in a ball...with a bit of the liquid in the package. Makes for easier shaping.
- So simple and tasty! Perfect for a Summer Supper!