Apple Crumble Coffee Cake (Buckle)!
Do you remember Buckles?
OK…not the kind that holds the end of your belt….but an old fashioned Baked Buckle? 🙂
I am probably dating myself with this revelation for the younger readers….:)
A Buckle for those of you who have never heard the term….is a simple streusel-topped cake studded with fruit, and Buckles are traditionally made with summer fruit or berries.
However, I made this Fall/Autumn version by adding Granny Smith Apples which makes it more like a coffee cake, because….
Well, just because school has started and cooler weather is on it’s way and I love apples and Autumn and…well, you get the picture! 🙂
This recipe was from my Grandma’s recipe box…only she used wild berries…which really is a great recipe…I just modified it a bit!
You know, there is nothing better than to be in the kitchen whipping up a wonderful aromatic baked fruit goodie such as this Apple Crumble Coffee Cake (or an Apple Buckle Coffee Cake.)
You may use the apple of your choice….I sometimes use HoneyCrisp Apples, which happens to be one of the Captain’s favorite apples to snack on!
Pick your apples at an orchard or buy them from the supermarket….and this apple crumble coffee cake is sure to please you and your family.
If you make this recipe…let me know your thoughts. ;0
Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to be really decadent! 🙂
Have a great Friday and a wonderful beginning to a wonderful week-end!
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 and 1/4 tsp. teaspoons ground cinnamon
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 7 tablespoons melted butter (unsalted)
- 5 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (a really good one)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 and 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup apple, diced (I used a large Granny Smith Apple)
- Mix flour, sugar, brown sugar,cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium sized bowl
- Add the melted butter, being sure every ingredient is incorporated and set aside.
- Spray a baking dish (8x8") square or round with non-stick spray and line with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter, white and brown sugars thoroughly
- Add the eggs and the vanilla and set aside
- Combine the flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside
- Alternate the dry ingredients (a small amount at a time) to the creamed mixture of eggs and sugars, alternately with the sour cream and ending with the last of the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the diced apples and pour the batter into the baking dish
- Smooth the top with a knife or spatula
- Spread the crumble topping over the top of the coffee cake and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 50-55 minutes or until a inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- You may use any apple....I have also used a honey crisp for a completely different level of sweetness.
- Serve warm from the oven or add a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
I love autumn, Kari. I haven’t heard of Buckles, but I love coffee cakes. We are having very cool weather here. It’s a huge change from earlier in the week.
Thanks for stopping by Sandy….and I am sure you are enjoying the break in the weather! 🙂
It is getting cooler here too!
My grandma always made Buckles…and they are sooooo good!