Two Greens Salad!
There are a lot of different recipes using Brussel Sprouts and a lot of recipes using Kale.
I made a Veggie Roast this week which included potatoes and brussel sprouts. Yummy! (I will post that recipe later)
Anyway, I had brussel sprouts left over and I had some fresh Kale.
I used the Kale in a green smoothie….also yummy….Sooooo I wanted to incorporate both of these veggies into a salad.
I did find a recipe that combined the two greens, which I modified by adding a bit of honey to add a bit of sweetness to the dressing.
No, not that “Bit O Honey”…altho…that does sound interesting, doesn’t it? 🙂
There are few ingredients in this recipe and the only tool you will need is a sharp knife… Or you can use your food processor, which is what I used.
The processor shredded both the kale and brussel sprouts in nothing flat.
It took me longer to get the processor out of the cabinet and clean it up then it did to shred the veggies. 🙂
You might want to use a knife….your call. 🙂
After shredding the veggies…just whisk the remaining ingredients in a bowl OR…you can use your processor for that too.
Remember to drizzle the olive oil in gradually while on low speed.
I have a confession to make….
I smile every time I use grated Pecorino cheese!
Have you ever had someone tell you a story about “something, anything” …so that each time you think or use that “something, anything”…you think of the story and smile?
That is what I do…smile to myself…when I buy or use Pecorino Romano Cheese.
I apologize my dear readers as this is an inside joke …and I really don’t mean to be rude.
I only mention it to see if you have ever had “something,… anything”… that makes you smile all to yourself, as if you have a secret that no one knows about?!?
It makes people wonder what you are up to doesn’t it? 🙂
My dear “dancing friend across the pond” will understand…as she is the one who told me the story about Pecorino Romano Cheese. 😉
Irregardless…the printable recipe for Two Greens Salad is below.
And I am still smiling!
Have a great Friday!
- 3 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1 large bunch of kale, pulled from the center stems (discard the stem)
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 small shallot
- 1 cup finely grated pecorino
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 lemons, zested and juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Using a food processor (or a sharp knife) shred the sprouts and then shred the kale.
- Add the garlic and shallot through the chute of your processor (or chop by hand)
- Place the veggies into a bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the pecorino cheese, pine nuts, mustard, honey, lemon zest and the juice from the three lemons, salt and pepper and whisk together while drizzling in the olive oil. (you can use your food processor to be sure the mixture is very smooth if that is your preference)
- Next add the dressing to the shredded veggies tossing well to combine. Let set at room temperature (or Chill if desired) for about 10 minutes to allow the dressing to coat the two greens.
- Top with a little more shredded Pecorino cheese and a few more pine nuts.
- You could also add croutons, crumbled cooked bacon or prosciutto to the top of each salad. if desired.
- I like the many colors of green of the kale and brussel sprouts....and the citrus of the lemon is wonderful. 😉