Crock Pot Fagioli!
I love cooking with a crock pot and I love any type of soups.
As children are going back to school in a few weeks here in Florida, Fall comes to my mind and with the Fall and Winter Seasons….Soups, and in some parts of the country…hearty soups! 🙂
Pasta Fagioli has been around our home for years…as well as any Italian restaurant. Probably because it is so simple to make and if you use a crock pot…it is even simpler. One reason this soup is so good is the variety of ingredients and how far they can stretch a meal and budget.
My Mother varied the ingredients with whatever she had on hand….but the constant ingredients…the ground beef, onion, macaroni and canned tomatoes were always in the soup. If she only used those ingredients, she called it goulash. (See my recipe for goulash at this link. The Sky Did Not Fall ! ) If Mom added the navy beans, it became pasta fagioli.
One reason this soup is so good is the variety of ingredients and how far they can stretch a meal and budget.
These days, I add different kinds of beans which really adds to the texture and flavor.
And finally, one reason this soup is so good is the wonderful smells and aromas that fill my kitchen! “They” say, (whoever “they” are) that one eats with your eyes first and while that could be true, I believe one eats with their nose first.
Well, not literally folks, but who can resist eating the whole loaf of freshly baked bread,… after smelling it for hours as it rises and bakes?
Picture this: a slice of warm crusty bread, slathered in soft butter that is oozing and melting into each of the holes and crevices of the beautiful, light and airy texture of home made bread.
Or using the bread as an extra spoon sopping up the aromatic juices of any soup.
Not that I would ever eat a whole loaf of freshly baked bread all by myself.
OK, maybe just once I did. 🙁
Or twice! 🙂
But then I didn’t eat anything else for the whole day!
Or did I?
My dear readers, do you have a favorite fagioli recipe?
Please share if you like.
Have a great week-end. 🙂
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained
- 3 (10 ounce) cans beef stock
- 3 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 5 teaspoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 (20 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce, (I use Ragu)
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet (I like to add the onions and celery with the ground beef but it is easier to add them all at once to your crock pot)
- Drain fat from ground beef and add to your crock pot with everything, but the pasta.
- Cook on low 7-8 hours (or if you are needing your meal quicker... put your crock pot on high for 4-5 hours)
- Add pasta the last 30 minutes.
- The slower this cooks, the better it tastes.
Please comment, I'd love to hear from you.