Healthy Cranberry Upside Down Cake!
I have to tell you that I love Fall and I particularly love cooking with Fall fruits and veggies.
I also love going to the Farmers Markets and buying the cute little squash and pumpkins, and incorporating them into my Fall decor.
Apples? Oh yes, I love cooking with apples too and so I have been on a kick to make Fall recipes all week….and I will be sharing some of them with you, my dear readers. 🙂
AND do you know what else I like about all the Fall baking? Butter! Yep! the truth is out! I really love butter!
Now, for some reason….butter has gotten a bad rap or name. I have been cooking with butter for more years than I care to count and do you know what? Butter is not a bad thing! Of course moderation is the key, but many baking recipes call for butter and who does not grab the butter when the ole’ chocolate chip cookie craving comes around? 😉
Yep! Butter! There is always plenty in my freezer and fridge. Sorry, no shame there! I can’t imagine the horror of running out of butter, which brings me to the recipe I made over the week-end.
My yodeling friend from Washington State, (Pacific Northwest/Orchard/Fall Heaven) sent me the following recipe that she picked up from Weight Watchers. She told me that it is so good, one really couldn’t tell it was a good-for-you-healthy recipe.
Now, I have to confess that many good-for-you-healthy recipes lack that great flavor we all love. It is simply not there. And many times the lack of butter is the culprit, but this recipe has good flavor.
This recipe calls for a little lite butter in both the topping and the cake. The cranberries made me think of Fall and there you have the perfect combinations.
So my dear readers, try this recipe and if you are using weight watcher points…the count is a little over 6.
This cranberry upside down cake tastes really good so remember that it serves 12 at 6 points per slice….and by the way, I used my 9 inch cast iron skillet to bake it in. Just so you know!
Excuse me now while I make myself a slice of sour dough toast and slather it in soft real butter for my breakfast. Gonna add a nice cup of hot chocolate too! Doesn’t that scream Fall???!!!!
AND since I ate the good-for-you healthy cranberry upside down cake over the week-end…..that means I’m good to go with the butter today! 😉
- serves 12 (6 points +)
- ⅓ c. packed brown sugar
- 2 T. light butter
- 6 oz. fresh cranberries
- 1-½ c. flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 c. sugar
- ½ c. light butter, softened
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ c. skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9″ round cake pan with cooking spray.
- Heat brown sugar and 2 T. butter in a small saucepan. Cook until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Pour sugar mixture into cake pan and tilt to coat the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle evenly with cranberries.
- To prepare cake, mix flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Place sugar and butter in a large bowl. Beat until light and fluffy. add egg yolks, beating well. Beat in vanilla. Fold flour mixture into sugar mixture, alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat egg whites with a mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Spoon batter over cranberries, spreading evenly. Bake at 350 for 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Loosen cake from sides of pan and invert onto a serving dish. Serve warm.
Please comment, I'd love to hear from you.