Individual Home Made Chicken Pot Pie…
I love chicken pot pie and they really are so easy to make.
They can be made in any amount and that is one of the conveniences that I find the most helpful.
Yesterday was one of those days that did not allow a lot of time to prepare dinner and individual home made pot pies seemed the perfect answer.
Last year, I found these individual crocks in a craft store of all places….and since the price was more than reasonable….I bought all they had …which was an uneven number…. which I almost never do…. but then, oh well.
And it doesn’t hurt that they are cute too…. 😉
After draining the chicken thighs…and you can use any pieces of the chicken you prefer, I believe the thighs are tastier than the breast meat, but that is only my preference!
That sentence was awfully long, so allow me to start over…..After draining the chicken thighs (and saving the broth) allow them to cool and cut the meat into bite-sized pieces.
Meanwhile, I had some leftover veggies and I added a bit of chopped onion and potato and made a white sauce with cornstarch and milk.
The handy dandy printable recipe is below just waiting for whatever ingredients you would like to use.
If you prefer beef…use a beef broth instead of chicken broth.
I have even used ground beef with a little rice and onion. I did use a tomato based sauce.
My dear readers, let me know if you love pot pies, and if you do….what is your favorite?
Have a great day.
- 2 chicken thighs
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup of peas, cooked
- 1/4 cup of carrots, cooked
- 1/4 cup of diced potato
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed in 1/2 cup of heavy cream or milk
- Puff pastry
- 1 teaspoon of melted butter for top of pastry
- Cook chicken in chicken broth and 1 cup of water for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked
- Drain and dice when cool
- Meanwhile place the potatoes and onion in the chicken broth and cook for about 6-8 minutes
- Add the peas and carrots and the cornstarch mixture and gently boil until thick
- Add the chicken to the veggies and ladle into one large baking dish or individual crocks
- Top with the puff pastry that has been rolled and cut into circles or whatever size you need for your baking dish
- Brush with melted butter and place in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until pastry has brown and puffed.
- You can use any veggie or meat you like for these pot pies. If using beef, use beef stock instead of the chicken broth. Yummy!