Bring On The Potatoes!
And the onion
And the carrots
And the celery
Add a little cream and you have soup! Particularly Potato Onion Carrot Celery Soup to be precise.
When it is “BABY IT’S COLD OUTSIDE” ….it is definitely a tummy warmer….soup that is!
The weather here in Florida has definitely started to cool down after days and days of 80 degree weather. A cool front is bringing temps from mid to upper 60’s …and yes, that shouts Fall to me!!!!! I have watched the weather from the Midwest and snow and icy roads are the norm for this time of year and they are certainly receiving their share! I still have some family and friends in the states of Kansas and Missouri! Sorry Family and Friends 🙁
So what does one think of to keep warm and cozy?
I took my handed-down-recipe-from-Mom and improvised it a bit. That recipe for old fashioned potato soup can be found in my recipe file under Soups, Stews and Sauces…Potato Soup ! For garnish on that one, I added chopped scallions, crumbled bacon and grated cheese and one feels like you are eating something special and not ordinary soup.
The recipe below is a bit different as I cooked it in a crock pot! I added the carrots and celery along with chicken broth and not so much cream or milk if you prefer. Those ingredients gave my Broth-y Potato Soup a different flavor….and I really liked it that way.
You can make potato soup on top of the stove and this recipe would only take about 30 minutes or until your veggies are tender. However, I love the aroma of soup permeating through-out my home and so does the Captain.
I have to confess….I love the way he pops into the kitchen from his office, a big smile on his face…and says “something is smelling soooo good”!
Call me old fashioned and not hip on the scene of the newer “I am not a housewife I am a career woman” …there is certainly nothing wrong with being a career oriented woman….I was there at one time, but I never lost my desire to be in the kitchen. Doing laundry is another story….I would much rather spend my whole day in the kitchen rather than the laundry room. Just sayin’ !!
To each his own, but for me, it is a fun time when I am creating something delish in the kitchen and even more fun when my family and friends love and appreciate my efforts.
How do you like your potato soup my dear readers? Thick and Creamy or Thinner and Broth-y?
Enjoy this soup no matter how you make it. Cozy up to a fire. Read a good book. Have a cup of soup! Yummy!
The printable recipe is below.
Hugs Always!!!! 😉
- 4-5 Idaho potatoes, medium dice
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth, I use low sodium
- 2 tablespoons butter, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk
- Add the potatoes, celery, onion, and carrots to a crock pot,
- Add the chicken broth, salt and pepper
- Cook on high for about 4 hours or until the veggies are tender. (I have never had the potatoes turn to mush)
- Add in the cream and make sure the soup is completely heated through
- Serve with crackers or a french baguette or whatever bread you choose.
- This can be cooked on top of the stove and can be ready in about 30 minutes...However, I just like the convenience of the crock pot doing all the work and me doing all the smelling and my house smelling ohhhhh sooooo goooood! 😉
- If using a crock pot...make sure you do not use a fine dice on the potatoes. You want to know you are eating a potato not swallowing something that tasted like potato. 🙂
- If you prefer your soup a bit thicker...use a tablespoon of flour or cornstarch in 1/4 cup of cold water or milk or broth to thicken.