You Really Need To Make This…..Or maybe you have already made this….Or maybe you are getting ready to make this….
What is “this” you ask?
Why it is the best tasting, addictive Chex Party Mix that everyone, and I do mean everyone, has made a least once in their lives and most likely more times then one cares to remember.
The recipe has been the same for many, many years…but you know me, I like to “tweak” an old tried and true recipe ….just a bit. I would like to claim that no one has “tweaked” the same as I…but you know what? I find that hard to believe. However, I do have another method that one could use….and no, NO, NO not the microwave. Not happenin’! Isn’t prudent! Doesn’t work for me!!
The best way of course is the oven for about an hour…stirring frequently to assure all the “goodies” get crispy. But you can also use the crock pot! Yep! Just put the cereals, nuts and butter mixture into the ole crock pot and set it for about 3 hours….stirring every hour….but as I said, I still prefer the oven method.
My dear readers…..NOTHING is better than the aroma coming from your oven with this wonderful party mix flavors melding in perfect matrimony! Unless of course you are also listening to Christmas music and making fudge and your children are mingling about sampling every goodie on the counter. (which includes frosted sugar cookies, Spritz cookies, Peanut Butter Balls, White Divinity and Peanut Brittle! Add a steaming cup of hot chocolate and Yummy! Yummy!
Yep! Nothing like it and then you know that Christmas is in the air!
So, what do I do differently with this party mix you may ask? Hot sauce! Tabasco to be exact! You know I like hot and spicy and the Tabasco seems to give the party mix a little kick! You can omit it of course….IF you are too chicken to try it!
OK, I am being a bit childish in challenging you to change your ingredients a bit….how ever you make this party mix, it is just plain delicious and it wouldn’t be the Holidays without it would it? If you miss the recipe below…you can always look on the chix boxes….the recipe is there and has been for years. The last time I looked at the box, the oven method was substituted for the microwave method. I am here to tell you DON’T DO IT!!!!! You will be disappointed as the mix does not crisp up. Sorry.
Oh, and one more thing! Do not try buying the pre-packaged Chex Party Mix….I don’t know why it doesn’t have any flavor….I mean the recipe came from the back of a Chex Box….but trust me on this one. Make your own, it is so easy. 🙂
We are off now to our Christmas Eve Service at our Church…..Happy Christmas Eve and Blessings to your families from:
- 3 cups Corn Chex
- 3 cups Wheat Chex
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 2 cups Pretzel Sticks, Pretzel Rounds or Squares
- 2 cups Mixed Nuts, or salted peanuts, cashews or any nut of your choice
- 1 1/2 sticks of Butter, melted
- 3-4 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 6-10 shakes of Tabasco Sauce
- 3 cloves minced Garlic or you can use Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of Onion Powder
- Add the cereals, pretzels, and nuts into a large mixing bowl, mixing gently with clean hands or a wooden spoon
- In a smaller bowl, add the melted butter, Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco, garlic, onion powder and Lawry's Seasoned Salt, stirring to mix
- Stir the butter mixture into the cereal mixture, making sure to coat all the ingredients
- At this point, transfer to two baking sheets (or the crock pot) and bake in at 250 degrees for about an hour, stirring every 15 minutes to assure crispiness
- Remove from oven and cool before placing in an airtight container
- If you have a family like mine....you will have to make several batches during the Holiday Season. One can not play dominoes or cards or board games without this wonderful treat. Seriously!