My dear readers, I don’t know what I would do without my slow cooker or crockpot….I love to throw ingredients in the pot and smell the magic as the food cooks.
It just smells so good and every one who enters my home….comments on how good it smells and I think they usually hint around for an invitation…altho all those who know me….know one does not need an invitation to any meal cooked on these premises.
Example: this Teriyaki Beef…..you see, it is raining today and kind of cool outside….actually, a cold front is moving in…but I digress. Back to the smells of food…..a contractor came in to give me an estimate on a glass partition for one of the guest baths. …and he asked what I was cooking and then he commented (at least 3 other times) as to how good this slow cooking flank steak smelled. He mentioned the cold sandwich he had in his lunch bag…. and so I offered to make him a care package to take with him. He politely declined, but I know he left here, kicking himself for not taking me up on my offer. I know you know just what I am talking about. The slow cooker foods smell delicious for the longest time as they simmer and soak up the liquids in the pot.
A few posts ago, I showed you how I choose a paint color for projects in and around the house. This goes along with my planning a small make-over for the guest bath and I will share my step processes with you as I go along….but today we are talking the best tasting beef smothered in a most wonderful ginger sauce. All you have to do is whip up a little rice and a salad and this lunch or dinner is complete.
The ingredients are simple and by using a cut of beef that can sometimes be tough….this recipe makes it buttery tender. I just love the smell of freshly grated ginger and the sauce is perfect as is but you can certainly tailor it to your liking.
On days such as today…if one is still feeling a bit under the weather….(see yesterday’s post) and the rain is pelting against the windows….this is a perfect meal.
I love Slow Cookers…..don’t you?
- 2 pounds of flank steak, cut into thin strips
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil or peanut oil or olive oil, your choice
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chili flakes (more if you like spicy)
- 1 cup of low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup of water
- 3/4 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup grated carrot
- sesame seeds and/or green onions for garnish
- Make sure you cut across the grain as this will make the flank steak more tender.
- Place cornstarch in a plastic baggie and add the strips of flank steak.
- Seal and shake to evenly coat each strip (you can also use a small paper bag).
- To the Slow Cooker, add the oil, garlic, ginger, chili flakes, soy sauce, water, brown sugar and carrots stirring to combine and then add the flank steak, being sure to coat all the steak slices with the sauce.
- Cover the crock pot with the lid and allow to cook on low for about 4 hours (high for 2 hours)...meat should be tender and cooked through.
- To serve, use cooked rice or noodles of your choice.
- Garnish with sesame seeds if desired and thinly sliced scallions or green onions
- You can use the boil in a bag rice if you don't want to cook the rice. This makes it a quick meal once you are home from shopping or work. Add a green salad....yummers!