What better way to start the New Year 2016 ….. than with a bowl of soup?
I hope you, my dear readers….had a wonderful New Years Celebration! Actually, the Captain and I had a very quiet evening….old movies and orange crush soda. It has become tradition for us to toast the new year with orange crush!
See the following link to know the story behind the annual drinking of orange crush….it seems there is always a story with me, doesn’t it?
Back to the New Year….now that all the reveling and partying and big wonderful meals are over….so to speak…how about a bowl of comfort?
I have posted several chicken and rice soup recipes over the last couple years, but this recipe is extra creamy and simply wonderful! I have usually focused on the broth with the chicken and rice soup, but in this soup recipe, I focused on the creamy thickness of the broth, mixed with onions, rice, celery, carrots and chunks of chicken….AND a splash of heavy cream! Yummy!
Quick and easy to make and sooooo good to eat!
I always have chicken thighs in my freezer….you could use chicken breasts too….and so I popped two of them into a stock pot, and cooked until done….about 30 minutes.
I removed the chicken to cool a bit before de-boning and I added chopped onion, celery, carrots and rice to the still boiling broth.
After cutting the chicken into bite sized pieces, I added them back into the veggies and broth.
I added a bit more chicken broth and let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes.
I splashed in a bit of heavy cream and a small amount of chicken base mix (or you could use a low sodium bouillon cube).
I made a thickening by melting butter and flour in a small saucepan and thickened the soup…you could also use cold water and flour to make the thickening agent.
This soup can be made for two or twenty….just adjust the ingredients to your liking.
It is good to turn off the oven and let a little soup do the lovin’…isn’t it?
Have you made soup yet?
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3-4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup rice
- 2 chicken thighs or breasts
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon of chicken base or 1 chicken bouillon cube (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon each of freshly ground black pepper and of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour or cornstarch
- Place chicken thighs in about 3-4 cups of chicken broth and 1 cup of water and cook until done, about 30 minutes
- Remove chicken to cool and de-bone
- Meanwhile add onion, celery, carrots and rice and continue cooking for another 15-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the carrots tender
- Remove the skin on the chicken and the bones and discard. Chop the chicken into bite sized pieces and place in the simmering veggie and rice/broth mixture.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, and at this point I add the heavy cream and the chicken base (for more richness) to the soup and I make the thickening by mixing water and flour and adding to the soup....OR melt the butter in the microwave and add the flour or cornstarch to make the roux.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired and serve!
- You can add as many or as few of the ingredients as desired... it is your soup, I am just giving you the basics. If you like a thinner soup, you can add more chicken broth if desired