Hurricane Watch Update while making food such as Chinese BBQ pork roast!
My dear readers, we don’t know what is about to happen to the state of Florida…and my prayers are for all of us in this state. We are in a Hurricane Watch and I am giving you an update at this time.
The eye of Hurricane Irma …appears at this time to be heading for the east coast, but what most people fail to realize the peninsula is only about 100 miles wide at Alligator Alley for example….Fort Lauderdale on the East to Fort Myers on the West. So no matter where Irma makes landfall, if it is near Florida there will be winds and rain.
As I have said before….we will be riding out the storm by hunkering down. We have a generator and food.
I will give you a hurricane watch update as long as I have a working generator.
Many people are evacuating…..they are going up the middle of the state to places like Georgia and Tennessee.
If you look at the map of the projected path…these people could still be in harms way. So prayers are needed for all.
We have been told that it takes several days to get out of the state as the highways are like parking lots, with no gas in the interstate filling stations. Not a pleasant place to be, in my opinion.
We do get a hurricane watch update about every four hours.
Another note is if there is a mandatory evacuation, in other words a door to door removal of people, pets will be left behind. The rescuers need the room for people, which is understandable. The shelters for people are few and far between anyway…..Plus the shelters that allow pets are full.
……and who wants to be in a gymnasium on a bunch of wall to wall cots or sleeping bags with no food or water, with people who have no other choice or place to go.
If one has other places to go…that is the suggestion by authorities.
For us, the Captain and I would rather be in the comfort of our own home where we have plenty of water and our little Jesse James.
And we wait for a hurricane watch update.
On a brighter note…what does one do when watching the Weather Channel non-stop for a Hurricane Update on Irma?
Grab the crock pot and make yummy Chinese barbecued pork of course.
This pork roast is soooo good and very easy to make as you place a pork roast in the pot, rub a spicy mixture over the top and sides and cook on low for about 5-6 hours.
I then made a sauce of hoisin, honey, sugar, soy sauce, and spices and after placing the cooked roast on a baking sheet under the broiler of my oven….covered the roast with the sauce for 5-7 minutes per side. The caramelization is what makes this pork so tasty and delish.
Serve sliced on hamburger buns or put as a main dish. Yummy!
Check out this recipe.
So we are still on a hurricane watch and this is the latest update from our SW side of the state of Florida. So far, so good.
And stay safe out there dear friends.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 pork roast (about 5 pounds)
- 1/3 cup of hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tblsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Combine salt, 3/4 teaspoon of the 5 spice powder and pepper in a bowl and rub the spice mixture over the roast.
- Transfer to a slow cooker
- Cover and cook on low until pork is just tender, about 5-6 hours
- Make the sauce, of hoisin, honey, sugar, soy sauce, ketchup, oil, ginger and garlic....and the remaining 5 spice powder.
- Place roast on a rack over a baking sheet and add 1 cup of water into the bottom of the baking sheet
- Brush sauce on the top of the roast and place under the broiler for about 5 minutes.
- Repeat with all sides of the roast making sure to get a good caramelization on all sides without burning. It takes about 3-5 minutes per sides.
- Transfer to cutting board and let set for about 10 minutes before carving. Add for sauce if desired.
- I used a pork butt roast but you can use whatever you choose.