Late last year, the Captain and I had one of our Pastors and his wife over for an Italian dinner and I thought I had posted about it until I was asked if the appetizer recipe was posted on my blog.
I responded that I believed I had posted it….well, apparently I “forgot” to post it so here it is.
What is it they say?…better late than never?
The recipe is so simple and so quick and easy to prepare.
The little trick I have found is to be sure and put the brie into your freezer for about an hour before you begin to prepare it.
This is so the puff pastry has time to brown and the Brie is not drying out in the oven.
One can make the top as decorative (or not) as you want.
I have made it completely smooth on top and I have placed little cut-outs of puff pastry on top.
It does not affect the end product which is simply delish.
You can also use any dried fruit or nuts you desire…I have even made it with no fruit or nuts and it is still scrumptious.
So if you are looking for a quick appetizer and love the creaminess of Brie mixed with cranberries and walnuts…than this is the recipe for you.
The printable recipe is below!
- 1 small round Brie
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tsp water (egg wash)
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Slice Brie in half using string as a knife (2 layers)NOTE: Brie should be placed into a freezer for about an hour before assembling, this is to prevent Brie from drying out before the puff pastry is browned in the oven
- Press cranberries and walnuts into bottom half and replace top of Brie
- Roll pastry sheet to encompass the round of stuffed Brie
- Place Brie on top of pastry and bring edges together on top (pat down a bit) and turn Brie over and place on parchment lined edged cookie sheet. (At this point if you want to get decorative...you can cut out shapes to place on top before brushing with egg wash) I put little tiny balls of puff pastry to resemble Christmas ornaments.
- Brush the top of puff pastry with egg wash and place in 425 oven for about 20 minutes until top is nicely golden brown.
- Serve immediately with crackers, fruit etc.