Luan’s Cherry Mash Bars! Do you remember Cherry Mash Bars? Are they still around?
My Mother loved chocolate and ate chocolate stars by the handfuls (she only weighed 90 pounds soaking wet, don’t know why I didn’t get her genes!!!)….Candy was a favorite for her and when she wasn’t eating from her little bowl of chocolate stars that sat by her favorite chair, she would eat a Cherry Mash!
My BFF, Luan (or Lu as I call her) gave me this recipe about 25 years ago along with a fresh batch of the Cherry Mash Bars! So yummy and the taste is just as good as the packaged Cherry Mash! I have made them many, many times and they always turn out great!
A little background about my BFF. Lu and I have been through many of the same ups and downs in our parallel lives and will always be there for each other, even though we live very far apart. Anyone who is fortunate to have such a friend is blessed indeed. Thanks Lu, for being my friend for all these years. 🙂
- 2 cups sugar
- 16 regular size marshmallows
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ten ounce package cherry chips (just like chocolate chips, except cherry 🙂 )
- 1 twelve ounce package of chocolate chips (just like cherry chips, except chocolate:) )
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 pound salted peanuts, chopped fine or about a cup
- Combine sugar, milk and marshmallows in a sauce pan and bring to a boil
- Boil for 5 minutes stirring constantly as it scorches very easily
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and cherry chips
- Mix well and pour in a 9X13 pan
- In another saucepan, melt chocolate chips, peanut butter and peanuts
- Mix together and pour over cherry mixture
- When cool, cut into bars.
- You can adjust the amount of peanuts and if you are allergic, eliminate them completely.
- I usually have to search for the cherry chips and when I find them, (usually at the Holidays) I buy extra and store in the freezer. You can also go on-line to find the cherry chips if they are not at your local store.