I am not going to call this a soup although it is going to be in the soup category. I used to make home made egg noodles until I found a secret. Reames frozen Noodles. This is so good that no one and I mean no one will be able to tell that you didn’t roll out noodle dough and cut every noodle yourself.
For the longest time, my family thought I was rolling out home made noodle dough until I finally confessed. they were shocked because they could not tell the difference. I always have these Reames Frozen Noodles in my freezer just waiting for the call to the pot.
I grew up with chicken and noodles ladled over mashed potatoes and my family likes these noodles just like that.
Healthy? Maybe not so much…but oh so good!
You can add chopped celery, carrots and other spices but I find the simpler this recipe the better it is. And it is certainly a user friendly recipe.
- 1 fryer or baking chicken cut into pieces
- 4 quarts of water
- salt and pepper
- 1 16 ounce package of Reames Home Made Noodles (In the freezer section of your supermarket)
- 2 cups of boxed chicken broth
- Bring Chicken and salted water in large heavy dutch oven to a boil and gently boil for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cooked chicken to a cooling rack
- Cool the cooked chicken until easily handled.
- Debone the chicken, discarding the bones.
- Shred or chop the chicken into pieces and set aside.
- Add 2 cups of chicken broth to the existing broth in the dutch oven
- Add the frozen noodles to the boiling stock and cook for about 20 minutes. Test for tenderness.
- Add the chicken back into the noodles and broth and cook for another 10 minutes
- Sometimes I add a few drops of yellow food coloring to add color.
- I taste the broth and if there needs to be more flavoring, I add 1/2 teaspoon of chicken base.
- You can thicken the broth if you would like it thicker by using a paste of flour and water to the broth.
- We serve this wonderful comfort food over mashed potatoes. I love love love this recipe and so does my family.
It sounds wonderful. Unfortunately, His Ronness doesn’t like anything with chicken in it. lol
Perhaps His Ronness would like it with the broth only and chicken removed?
Just a thought Sandy…;)
The Captain says
This is one of my personal favorites.
Thanks Honey….How do you think I “won” you over?
I knew that food was the key to your heart! 🙂