I love chocolate meringue pie.
Some friends prefer the whipped cream on top of the chocolate filling, but I like the beaten egg whites piled high on the pie and toasted in the oven to crisp peaks!
If I wanted whipped cream on my pie, I would buy a carton of Cool Whip and chow down! 🙂
I have been known to take a few bites out of the whipped cream carton…..but don’t tell anyone!
In the Midwest where I grew up, my Mother and both Grandmothers made pies with Meringue!
Coconut Meringue was my Mother’s favorite and Lemon Meringue was my Grandma’s favorite!
My Grandfather on my Mother’s side preferred Raisin Pie either with a top crust or…yep, you guessed it…meringue.
Below is the printable recipe for Chocolate Meringue Pie…yummy!
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1 ounce squares of unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups milk (scalded)
- 3 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 baked 9 inch pastry shell (See Perfect Pie Crust Recipe in the Pie Category)
- Mix flour, sugar and salt in a heavy sauce pan
- In a separate pan, add the cold milk and the 2 squares of unsweetened chocolate and melt over medium heat while bringing milk to just before boiling stage (scald) ...Or you can do it all in the microwave.
- Gradually add scalded milk (with melted chocolate) to the flour, sugar and salt mixture
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils
- Cook 2 minutes and remove from heat
- Add small amount to egg yolks (tempering)
- Stir into remaining hot mixture and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly
- Add butter and vanilla and let cool slightly
- Pour into the baked pastry shell and set aside to cool
- 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Add the egg whites into a stand or hand held mixer (I prefer to have my hands free so I use a stand mixer)
- Beat the egg whites until frothy
- Add the sugar and cream of tartar gradually
- Continue beating till mixture is stiff and glossy and holds a stiff peak (use a spoon to dip and lift the whites and if it does not drip back into the mixture, they are ready)
- Spread the meringue over the pie sealing to the edge of the pastry
- Bake in 350 degree oven until delicately browned, about 12-15 minutes
- I love making this pie from scratch..the above recipe.
- However, if you are short on time, you can buy the packaged Jell-O pudding and pie filling mix; use that as your pie filling.
- To have a nice deep filling, I would recommend using two boxes. Each pie filling box requires 2 cups of milk (check the recipe on the box) and can be made in a short amount of time.
- You can also use a store bought pie shell.
- Happy Baking!