Oh how I love Apple Pie!
I have a confession to make….I won’t eat restaurant Apple Pie! I think it is because they are previously frozen, they just don’t taste the same.
There is one restaurant near St. Louis, MO that makes a Levee High Apple Pie. The name of the out of the way restaurant is The Blue Owl … and if you haven’t visited, you must ….if you ever go through Missouri. This little cafe has been noted in “O” Magazine, The Today show and other magazine articles. The neat thing is you can order their bakery goods on line. And no, I don’t get any monies for posting their information.
Their apple pie is good….But in my opinion, my recipe is a really good one and it is not ridiculously… levee high. In other words you don’t have to have a huge mouth to eat this apple pie.
The printable recipe is as follows:
- 4 Tart Apples
- 3 Red Delicious Apples
- 3/4 - 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Dash salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 double crust pie shell (Please see pie crust recipe in this category)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Peel the apples and slice thin
- Place the apples in a 9 inch unbaked pie shell and sprinkle with a little lemon juice to keep from turning brown
- Mix the sugar, flour, and spices in a small bowl and add to the top of the apples
- Take a fork and gently coat the top layer of apples distributing the sugar mixture
- Dot with chunks of butter
- Adjust the top crust to the pie and crimp or pinch the edge to seal in the juices
- Bake for 50 minutes at 400 degrees.
- If it appears the edges of the pie are browning too quickly, add a small piece of aluminum foil around the edges to keep from burning.
- After baking, you will want to cut a big slab of pie...but you must wait until it thoroughly cools or your piece of pie will be mostly liquid. Not that it is a bad thing....it is just better to have completely cooled before cutting.
- If you would like your pie warm...wait until the pie has cooled in the fridge so it will cut and stay together. Cut the cold slice of pie and place in the microwave for a short blast.
- sooooo yummy!