Lemon Meringue Pie….A staple! I believe one would place it right after Apple Pie and the Flag! 😉
This recipe was my Grandmothers’ and she used to call it her “old favorite”, because it was so reliable.
I hope you like this recipe.
The printable recipe is below:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons cornstarch
- dash salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 beaten egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 baked 9 inch pie shell
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a heavy sauce pan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt
- Stir in water
- Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly until thick (about 5 minutes)
- Remove from heat; stir small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks to temper the eggs and then return to remaining mixture in pan
- Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute stirring constantly
- Remove from heat
- Add the lemon peel and butter and slowly stir in the lemon juice.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Pour into cooled baked pie shell
- Beat egg whites with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar beating until stiff
- Spread meringue over filling sealing to edges to avoid shrinking
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 12015 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool completely before serving.
- If you are short on time, you can buy the packaged Jell-O lemon pudding and pie filling mix and use that as your pie filling.
- To have a nice deep filling, I would recommend using two boxes. Check the recipe on the box
- You can also use a store bought pie shell