This Cranberry Morning Coffee Cake is a great way to greet any day…I like to make it the night before and heat up a slice with my morning hot tea.
The recipe is easily modified with other fruits such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and yes, even peaches and apples. Just see what is in “Season” and go with it!
I use frozen cranberries but fresh work just as well. Always rinse your frozen cranberries and drain well.
If using fruit such as peaches…the cake will be more like a cobbler, but it is just as good.
The orange zest makes the coffee cake sing…so test out your own vocal chords and enjoy the duet of wonderful flavors!
In fact, the Captain is singing now…..:)
- Cranberry Morning Coffee Cake2014-02-24 04:29:38Serves 12A delicious coffee cake, so good with your morning coffee or tea. The glaze is optional but why wouldn't you want to drizzle it over the coffee cake? 🙂Write a reviewTotal Time1 hrTotal Time1 hrIngredients
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- zest of one orange
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
- Glaze: (Optional)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour spring release pan or a 9X13 baking pan
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon and set aside (this will be sprinkled over the cranberries).
- Using a mixer, beat eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy.(since eggs are the leavening, beat them really well, about 5-6 minutes)
- Add in butter and vanilla, mix well
- Stir in flour, nutmeg, cloves, and orange zest, batter will be thick.
- Spoon half of the batter into the cake pan ( I used a 8 1/2 inch cake pan with spring loaded side release)
- Place cranberries evenly on top of the cake batter
- Sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar mixture over the cranberries
- Spoon the rest of the batter over the cranberries
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool, gently using a knife to loosen cake from the bottom and sides of the pan, or use your quick release
- Allow cake to cool completely
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and milk
- Microwave for about 30 seconds
- Drizzle over the cake before serving.
- Note: heating the glaze mixture gives a crunchy glaze that is so good. The glaze can be as thin or thick as you like. I like thicker glaze but a healthier glaze would be a thinner one. It is up to you! I have made the glaze much like a doughnut glaze...thinner and it adheres because of the heating in the microwave. Drizzle away! 😉
Me and My Captain https://meandmycaptain.com/
- Check after about 30 minutes, and cover with foil if cake is browning too much. The wonderful smells of spices and oranges fill the kitchen making one more than ready to sample this wonderful coffee cake.
- I have made this same coffee cake recipe with blueberries and even peaches! The texture is more like a cobbler when using fruits such as peaches...Still yummy!