A good friend gave me this recipe about 50 years ago.
The title is interesting as this recipe was supposedly originated by using whatever was available in the cupboard.
There are few ingredients but the Bar resembles a spice raisin cake with frosting or glaze.
See if you like this recipe. My family really likes it….the Captain especially.
Printable recipe below.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg ( I like to grate my own nutmeg ...it just tastes better)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- In a large sauce pan, simmer the butter, raisins and water for 5 minutes, Cool
- Add the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt
- Add the nuts
- Poured into a greased 8 X 8 pan
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 teaspoon milk
- Mix the above and drizzle over the top of the Bars.