Think Spring and you think of putting on flip flops! In my case, I wear flip flops all year around here in Florida.
Make flip flop cakes and you will think of Spring and Summer and Lemonade and swimming in the creek! What fun that was as a kid.
Let your imagination run wild with colors and candy decorations! Real or silk or candy flowers on the toes….
Come on! It is not difficult to make and your children and family will appreciate your warm thoughts!
Granted most of these colors are bright, cheery and PINK…but you can make brown (chocolate frosting) guy type flip flops too!
Use black rope licorice for the straps and leave off the flowers….unless, he happens to like flowers and then choose dandelions or pipe on a tool belt….let your imagination flow!
It is the thought that counts and it shows you care…..
By the way, I bought the Captain a bright pink shirt and he was hesitant at first, until I showed him the striped pink/purple tie to match AND I convinced him it made his silver hair stand out!
It didn’t hurt that I bought him a purple shirt and a bright yellow!…We live in Florida for goodness sakes! 🙂
Make these flip flops and enjoy the coming of Spring…most of you need the pick-me-up after all that Winter weather!
Lets hope March goes out like a lamb!
Luv ya all
- 1 box yellow cake mix (or any white cake mix)
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- Tray or cardboard, covered with wrapping paper and plastic food wrap or foil
- 2 containers Whipped vanilla frosting (or make your own with powdered sugar and milk)
- Assorted gel or paste food colors...you choose the colors you prefer.
- In the above pic, you will see pink, yellow and turquoise (also green if you choose to make leaves on flowers)
- About 40 small round candies (any small candy will work or use tubed frosting to dot on design)
- 1 fruit roll up (or choose 4 pieces red rope licorice, ....these are for the straps on the flip flops)
- 2 edible flowers (or a real or silk flower...just make sure no one eats them!)
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans).
- Line 13x9-inch baking pan with waxed paper and grease or spray the paper.
- Make and bake cake according to package directions.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to cooling rack.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Refrigerate or freeze cake 1 hour or until firm (makes it easier to work with).
- In small bowl, mix 1 container frosting with food color to make desired color for sides of flip-flops. Reserve 1/3 cup frosting from second container.
- In small bowl, stir second food color into 1 cup of the remaining frosting to make desired color for top of flip-flops.
- Using serrated knife, cut rounded top off cake to level surface; place cut side down.
- Cut cake lengthwise in half.
- Using your wax paper pattern, arrange pattern over cake and with a sharp knife, cut out flip flop, ...flip pattern and cut out a second flip flop.
- Place flip flops on your serving tray. S
- Snack on extra pieces to see if they taste good...or save them for later... 😉
- Spread a thin layer of frosting for "sides" over each entire flip-flop to seal in crumbs.
- Refrigerate or freeze cake 30 to 60 minutes to set frosting.
- Frost sides of flip-flops with the same remaining frosting.
- Frost tops of flip-flops with second color frosting.
- Tint remaining 1/3 cup frosting with food color.
- To pipe frosting around top edge of flip-flops, spoon tinted frosting into small resealable food-storage plastic bag and cut small tip off 1 bottom corner of bag.
- Pipe zigzag design.
- Place small candies around side edge of each flip-flop to look like jewels.
- Cut two 6-inch pieces from fruit roll; cut pieces lengthwise in half. Arrange on flip-flops for straps. (Or use licorice and stick the ends into the cake to form straps)
- Just before serving, top with flowers.
- Store loosely covered.
- Cut a pattern of a flip flop on a piece of cardboard or waxed paper to use as a template. Flip the waxed paper over for the other shoe.
- You can also use the tubed frostings to decorate the flip flops. Make it easy on yourself!
- Graham Cracker crumbs are the beach if you want to make a display. Put the crumbs on a mirror to resemble water....use your imagination and you can come up with great ideas...it is your cake!