Well, there is really nothing Hawaiian about this grilled hamburger, unless you count the pineapple slice and the sweet and sour sauce.
I like to call it Hawaiian because it does have the pineapple slice and well..pineapples are grown in Hawaii….ok, they are grown in other places too. 😉
This is simply a way to add variety to a hamburger.
There used to be a restaurant here in my little city that boasted of 99 hamburger varieties and you would get a free hamburger if you tried all 99.
Well, not all at once…but they kept a record of which hamburgers you had eaten and which were yet to be eaten.
This little cafe is no longer in business….actually the owner retired after many, many years and a Mexican restaurant replaced the establishment.
I never tried any of their hamburgers….although many did sound good.
I like to make up my own variety of this old classic and the following recipe is a different take on the hamburger.
The sweet and sour sauce and the pineapple pairing makes for a great tasting burger.
Try it and let me know your thoughts.
Have a great Thursday!
- 4 slices fresh pineapple rings, about 1/2" thick, core removed
- 4 slices sliced Swiss cheese
- 4 slices thin sliced ham
- 1/2 cup sweet & sour sauce
- Brown ground beef patties being sure to cook thoroughly.
- Season with Lawry's seasoned salt, garlic powder and freshly ground black pepper
- Arrange the ham, swiss cheese, sweet and sour sauce over the ground beef pattie.
- Lastly add the grilled pineapple.
- Grill the hamburger bun (and pineapple) and serve with tomato, lettuce and onion.
- To add additional flavor grill your pineapple before you build your burger!
Please comment, I'd love to hear from you.