Southwest Egg, Cheese, Sausage Muffin!
Living in New Mexico for so many years, I have found that I like to put a Southwest twist on many recipes.
This muffin sandwich is ideal when you use Egg Beaters!
Have you tried Egg Beaters?
I’m sure you have tried them, they have been around for years!
I like to use them when making omelets and there are several different styles of Egg Beaters ….which gives variety.
They will never replace my favorite egg…. which is an egg fried …over-medium… in a non-stick skillet.
I love dipping my toast in the yolk…ok, I am a bit weird.
I learned “yolk-dipping” from my childhood and just never outgrew it!
Did I mention that fried eggs are my favorite?
Oh, I guess I did….but I digress. ;(
Back to these easy to make breakfast sandwiches…..
The Golden Arches don’t have nothin’ on me when it comes to a breakfast sandwich, especially a healthier breakfast sandwich.
I start with an English muffin that is a light, multi grain, and my supermarket has cheese slices that are “very” thin sliced…or you could slice your own block of cheese to your desired thickness.
AND I use Turkey Sausage…or you could use Canadian Bacon, both which are low in calories…..and I use Egg Beaters Southwest style.
Of course you can use a whole egg instead of Egg Beaters…and I did make two of the sandwiches with whole eggs.
Spray oven safe ramekins with non-stick spray.
Add the Egg Beaters, just look at the bell peppers and spices that are already in the Egg Beaters…..yummy! I also like to add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes to the ramekin before it goes into the oven.
Pop the ramekins in the oven while you toast the muffins…I use a non-stick skillet.
You can also use this time to heat up Canadian Bacon if you are making a variety of muffin sandwiches as I did.
I like to make six of these sandwiches and wrap in plastic wrap and freezer wrap and store in the freezer.
On the mornings (or afternoons…these sandwiches don’t have to be for breakfast only)…. when I am in a “toot”….meaning I have places to go, people to see, things to do….:)….I just pop them in the microwave to heat them up.
According to my closest calculations, each sandwich should be well under 300 calories, closer to 260.
You can find Egg Beaters in the Egg section at your favorite store and they come in several styles…Original, Southwestern Style, Florentine, 100% Egg Whites and Three Cheese.
If you prefer using whole eggs, you can add a bit of red and green bell pepper and red pepper flakes and you still have a yummy breakfast sandwich.
There is nothing like breakfast….it is my most favorite meal of the day!
Do you, my dear readers like to eat breakfast every day?
- 6 Light Multi-Grain English Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups of Southwestern style Egg Beaters
- 6 turkey sausage patties
- 6 slices of ultra thin sliced cheese
- non-stick cooking spray
- Salt, red pepper flakes and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a small non stick fry pan, cook the turkey sausage patties until done, and drain on paper towell.
- While the sausage patties are cooking, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Using non stick spray, lightly spray oven safe ramekins
- Add 1/4 of a cup of Southwest egg beaters to the ramekins and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Place the 6 ramekins onto a baking sheet and bake eggs for about 15 minutes or until set....do not overcook, eggs will continue to cook after you remove from the oven
- While eggs are baking, toast the English muffins in a non stick skillet
- Once the eggs are cooked, you can begin to assemble the sandwiches in any order you prefer.
- I used the bottom of the muffin, then the egg, then the cheese and finally the sausage pattie and top of the muffin
- The red pepper flakes are optional, but I happen to like spicy.
- Also, you can use Canadian Bacon if you prefer that to the turkey sausage patties
- You may also use a whole egg in the ramekin rather than the egg beaters. Just break the yolk a bit and season.
- These sandwiches can be wrapped in plastic wrap and freezer paper and placed in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just thaw and pop in the microwave when ready to eat.
- Egg Beaters can also be bought as plain scrambled eggs or plain egg whites, or eggs Florentine.. really quite good.