Pear Walnut and Cranberry Salad!
I love this salad and more importantly, the Captain loves it too.
This salad has a history.
OK…here comes the mush and gush! 😉
When the Captain and I married, this salad was served at our Wedding dinner….
Above are the lyrics to a song called “Here” which was printed on our program and Menu.
OK…mush and gush is over, now lets talk arugula and baby spinach salad!
Over the years, I have added and removed various ingredients, but basically it remains the same.
I happen to love pears and this time of year in Florida…we have plenty of pears….so I decided we needed a nice light and airy salad for lunch and wow does it ever taste good!
The red onion slices with the peppery arugula and baby spinach and pears and dried cranberries and chopped walnuts….well, they simply work together!
And do you know what is really great? You can use whatever ingredients you prefer.
Maybe you prefer mandarin orange slices or apple slices or you may prefer hazelnuts or almonds…..you get the picture!
Just use your imagination and enjoy.
The handy dandy printable recipe is below!
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup arugula
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Juice from half a lime
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 slice of a small red onion, separate the onion after slicing.
- 1/4 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/2 clove garlic, thinly sliced or diced
- 1/4 pear, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- Place the baby spinach and arugula into a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of oil and salt.
- Using your fingers, coat all the salad greens with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil
- Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, honey, lime juice, black pepper and garlic in a small bowl. Taste for desired balance of flavors and add a bit more honey if you would like the salad a little sweeter
- Add the salad dressing to the greens just before serving and top with pears, walnuts, cranberries and red onion
- Our Wedding dinner served a salad similar to this one...over the years, I have made it a variety of ways but this recipe is one of the Captain's favorites!
Please comment, I'd love to hear from you.