Good Morning my dear readers and welcome to Summer…..and good eats!
I have to tell you that I really love going to the local Farmer’s Market and seeing all the fresh vegetables and fruit mounded on the wooden tables.
I always take my canvas bags and fill them to the brim with fresh flowers and veggies.
I especially love all the fresh flowers…so I have flowers all over my home.
Some are from my garden, some from the Farmer’s Market and some are from my supermarket. Note the fresh eucalyptus above the mirror and the dried hydrangeas in another white pitcher . Ohhhhh Wow!
Did I say I love fresh flowers? I call it my “pamper me with posies.”!
…right now I have some fresh purple lavender in a small white milk bottle sitting on the shelf by my master bathtub…it is calling my name later on tonight when I will take a glass of wine and sip it while immersed in a very hot bubble bath. Take me away Calgon! 🙂
But I digress…..
I also can’t resist the large red tomatoes and the fresh green asparagus, bright yellow lemons and forest green limes clustered in huge wooden bins at the Farmer’s Market. We are so lucky as we have a Farmer’s Market year round down here in Florida.
So the other day…after arriving home from one of my shopping sprees…I put my purchased flowers into one of my white pitchers to sort of watch over me while I prepared a chicken dinner.
The recipe is so simple.
Grilled Chicken and Asparagus either on your outside grill or a stove top grill pan.
The Fettuccine with home made Alfredo Sauce is like the icing on the cake. Yummy!
Picture this if you can….rich, creamy, homemade Alfredo sauce over Home made (or store bought) tender, hot noodles of your choice ….
and then you add the juicy grilled chicken, sliced to perfection and crisp green asparagus spears,
……then…add slices of tangy lemons for a garnish and there you have a one pot dish of goodness.
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 1 pound of fresh asparagus, rinsed and bottoms popped off at bottom joint
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of two lemons
- 1 lemon sliced for garnish
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon of steak seasoning (I use Montreal Steak Seasoning)
- 1 pound of fettuccine pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 8 tablespoons of butter (1 stick)
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 3 oz of freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium size bowl, combine lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and steak seasoning.
- Divide marinade set aside half to season asparagus just prior to grilling.
- Add chicken breast to remaining half of marinade and let marinate for about 20 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium high and grill chicken 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Toss asparagus with marinade and grill for about 5 minutes, just until tender.
- While chicken is grilling, cook pasta according to package direction.
- Once chicken is done cooking, set aside to rest while preparing pasta.
- In a small pot, heat butter and heavy cream together until hot, but not boiling.
- Working quickly, so the sauce is still very hot, remove sauce from heat and stir in a pinch of kosher salt, several turns of freshly ground pepper and Parmesan cheese.
- Whisk until cheese is melted.
- Pour Alfredo sauce over hot pasta, slice chicken and asparagus and serve over pasta.
- Garnish with lemon wedges.