My dear readers…..Perhaps you remember this post from about four years ago… since it is so close to Cinco de Mayo…I thought I would re-visit it as it might give you inspiration for making your own taco shells.
It is so easy you know and if you don’t want to purchase molds….see below for how you can still make a taco shell.
Living in New Mexico for so many years has taught me to appreciate real Mexican food, although there is still an appreciation for Tex-Mex food also.
Raise your hand if you like tacos or taco salad, …..I see your hand!
Yep, perhaps I should have said who doesn’t like tacos, am I right???
I purchased these little molds to make tortilla shells for taco salad several years ago and they work perfectly!
Mine happen to be Wolfgang Puck brand but there are other brands out there. I found them on Amazon.
Actually, you don’t have to purchase the molds…you can simply take an oven proof bowl, turn it upside down and drape the flour tortilla over the bottom and bake in the oven until brown and crispy.
You are most likely going to fill it with “a great filling”, so it won’t matter what the shell looks like,…. it doesn’t have to be perfect…just edible!
However, I do like the pretty presentation for company or family dinners.
All you do lightly spray the shell pans with non-stick spray. Press a flour tortilla into the Tortilla Baker, making sure the tortilla follows the shape of the pan. Put the flour (or corn) tortilla in the mold and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees until a nice golden brown. Do not over bake or they will just crumble before you get them filled. You can also experiment and add as many “folds” as you like before you bake…Make them as “pretty” as you like. 🙂
Let shells cool slightly and then remove from pan carefully. Let the shells cool completely before filling.
Fill the bowls with your favorite taco salad ingredients.
I like to use ground beef or chicken, lettuce, corn, tomatoes, red onions, black beans, fresh cilantro and red, green or yellow bell peppers (or all three) and grated cheese. For a topping, sour cream, salsa or guacamole with chopped scallions on top. Or for something a little different, mix sour cream and salsa together.
These tortilla bowls are fun to use and it doesn’t have to be a taco salad. Any mold-a-ble , (is that even a word?) will work such as a jello salad.
I used one of the molds for a star shaped red/white and blue jello mold for 4th of July and it worked perfectly.
Do you have plans for Cinco de Mayo?
Printable Taco Filling Recipe is below. (I also have another recipe for Taco Salad which can be found under Recipes..).
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3-4 tomatoes, diced or you can use grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound Lean ground beef (or you can use ground turkey)
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper, your choice of colors.
- 1 package taco seasoning (or your own mixture of spices)
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated (or you can use the Mexican blend)
- 1 One pound can of black beans, rinsed and drained (or pinto or kidney beans)
- 1/2 cup black olives, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 cup of corn, well drained
- 1 avocado, sliced (or guacamole, or both)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salsa or Thousand Island Dressing (I have used Catalina Dressing)
- Sour cream
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet until no longer pink
- Add taco seasoning packet
- Drain and rinse beans and combine with meat
- Set up a little salad bar with all the ingredients either on a chopping block or in little bowls and build your taco salads in the home made tortilla bowls, using desired amount of the following ingredients....ground beef, lettuce, red onion, cheese, avocado, black olives, corn, tomatoes, cilantro and bell pepper.
- Top with scoop of sour cream, guacamole, salsa,
- Serve Thousand Island Dressing on-the-side if desired.
- If taco mixture seems too dry after browning the lean ground beef, add a small amount of water with the taco seasoning packet. I don't believe you will need it, but just in case.:)
- You can either serve the bell peppers raw in the salad or cook a bit with the ground beef...same with the onion.
- Add or remove as many ingredients as you would like...there is no right or wrong way to make a taco salad.
So adorable! I really need these salad bowls. I can’t wait to own them. Thanks for sharing.
thanks Amanda…the bowls are great for just about anything. thanks for stopping by,
Only daughter says
Omg my mouth is watering
Margo Karler says
Thanks Margo…I have been thinking about you with your fur babies…My little fur baby has started having seizures :(….well, he had one last week and a couple minor ones the next day. The Vet says not much we can do at this time but keep track of when, how, etc. 🙁