Sweet Lu, my dear readers, is my friend from way, way back…and she is an amazing cook, so when she sent me this recipe for baked oatmeal, I knew it had to be delicious.
I shared this recipe a couple years ago but would like to re-visit it again, because it is soo soo good.
I have since made this baked oatmeal… many, many times and I love the way you can use any fruit you happen to have in your kitchen.
Everybody loves oatmeal…except “Only Daughter”…and I am sure she will turn her nose up at this recipe… because, well…because she has never liked oatmeal.
I don’t understand it myself, but there it is…the news is out there. ;(
However, I do love oatmeal!!!
And this recipe is delicious!
And easy to prepare!
And it is just plain good for you too!
The ingredients are simple.
Choose the fruit of your choice.
I used frozen blueberries because that is what I had in my freezer.
All the rest of the ingredients I had in my fridge or pantry.
The idea is to make a custard like mixture mixed with oatmeal and applesauce to pour over the fruit and man does this combo work.
The aroma coming from my oven was amazing!
And that can only be topped by the delish-ness of this dessert-like breakfast.
Trust me! You really don’t think you are eating oatmeal….
…..and you know who you are! LOL
(and that comment was for ‘only daughter’)
Which reminds me, this recipe can be used as a dessert too!
I am showing you my baked oatmeal before it went into the oven….what is wrong with this picture, my dear readers? Can you figure it out?
OK, I will tell you what is wrong….In my haste to sort of modify Sweet Lu’s recipe a bit….(I wanted to add vanilla and walnuts)…I dumped the oatmeal on top of the egg custard mixture instead of mixing the oatmeal in first…
…….before pouring into the baking dish.
But, nothing is ever ruined….(well, almost nothing, but that is for another post…)
I just stirred the oatmeal in with the other casserole ingredients before popping into the oven.
And you know what? It was delicious!
You could serve this in a bowl with milk or eat it as is …which is the way the Captain and I liked it.
OR…why not put a dollop of whipped cream and make it a dessert?
Thanks Sweet Lu, this recipe is definitely a keeper!
Below is the handy dandy printable recipe. Try it “Only Daughter”...I am sure you will like it!
Hugs and Smiles Always
- 1 1/2 c. frozen mixed berries (I used frozen blueberries)
- 2 small eggs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. applesauce
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla (I added vanilla because I love it...but this was not in Sweet Lu's recipe)
- 1 cup + 1 oz old fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Put berries on bottom of greased 8x8 pan.
- Beat eggs until well mixed
- Add lemon juice, brown sugar, applesauce, cinnamon, baking powder,salt, water, milk, and butter to the egg mixture and mix well
- Add the oatmeal and vanilla and mix well
- Pour evenly over the berries
- Top with walnuts or any nut of your choice if desired
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Sweet Lu sez: "I've also used 2 apples chopped or blueberries or fresh peaches. I think you could use a combination of any of your favorite fruits."
I love oatmeal especially. can’t wait to try this recipe with apples and raisins.
It is so good Pamela let me know if you like it. Thanks for stopping bye