Gma’s Homemade Tomato Soup is something I make often, especially if I have some extra tomatoes.
Folks the leaves are turning up North and the weather is cooler here in Florida and my thoughts turn to soup.
This is such a simple recipe that it is almost a joke to write down the ingredients.
This soup is real comfort food and my Gma’s Homemade Tomato Soup has always had a rotation in my soup files.
I love this soup and it is so quick and easy to make plus, you can add a dairy product if you want the soup a little richer and creamy.
Of course, I usually add a grilled cheese sandwich (or a grizzled cheese sandwich as my kids always called it) or the soup is great by itself.
I have made this soup with a creamy consistency by using a hand blender, but most times I make it just like my Gma did …which was to use a potato masher and mash as little or as much as desired. Gma always said it was best to leave a few chunks of tomato in this soup. 😋
The same for the dairy.
It is optional and if you like a thicker soup, use less dairy or leave it out completely which is what I usually do.
You can use either fresh or dried herbs and even though I feel the sugar is not tasted, it, too is optional.
Gma always added a pinch of baking soda because she said it helped with the acidity of the tomatoes, sometimes she added sugar and sometimes she added both after tasting.
I have to confess that sometimes I add it and sometimes I do not.
When adding soda…the soda may fizz up a little until it is mixed in the soup.
I usually use chicken broth but if you have a vegetable broth, that will work just as well.
If you taste your soup and feel your tomatoes don’t have much flavor (as some purchased at the super market might fall into this category)… or you use canned tomatoes, you can add 1 tablespoon of tomato paste and that should perk up the flavor.
This homemade tomato soup is so versatile for all tastes.
Toppings can be anything.
I have used parmesan cheese, tortilla strips, basil or parsley or a dollop of sour cream…or…nothing at all.
This soup is good all by itself.
The Homemade Tomato Soup recipe is below:
Gma's Homemade Tomato Soup
- 2 1/2-3 cups Tomatoes (about 2 -3 medium)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped fine or (1/2 tsp minced from jar)
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1 tbsp sugar or pinch of baking soda if tomatoes are tart (optional)
- 1/4 cup half&half, heavy cream or milk (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- I like to boil water and drop in the whole tomatoes for about 20 seconds, remove and core and pull the skins off but you can also add some olive oil to sheet pan and roast tomatoes if desired.
- While tomatoes are being prepared, melt butter in skillet and saute the onions, peppers and garlic to soften.
- To prepare the tomatoes, I like to mash the tomatoes with hand held potato masher because that is how my Gma did it, but you could use a hand blender or immersion blender. Gma always wanted her tomato soup with small chunks of tomatoes rather than be completely smooth. The choice is whatever your preference is.
- To a medium pot add the chicken broth and bring to a boil
- Add the soft onions, garlic and peppers followed by the tomatoes, dried (or fresh) herbs, sugar or soda and salt & pepper.
- At this point you may add the dairy of your choice, using as much or as little as needed for desired consistency. You may even omit the dairy.
- You can garnish with parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, green onions, sour cream or tortillas strips
If you have not made your own homemade tomato soup, you are missing out.
It really tastes better than the canned soup.
Have a great and Blessed day.
Genesis 1: 29
Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.”