My Grandmother loved Tomatoes and I used to help her can all her veggies from the garden. I was so glad for the experience as I turned to canning after I got married. Grandma made her breaded tomatoes with a bit of sugar and I found out when I started making them…the sugar is necessary for the acidity of the tomatoes.
I hope you like this side dish…
- 1 (28 ounce) can chunky peeled tomatoes, with liquid
- 3 slices stale bread, torn into pieces
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a heavy sauce pan, combine the tomatoes, bread, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cook until heated through and the bread has absorbed the tomato juice.(about 20 minutes)
- Do not eliminate the sugar as it takes away the acid of the tomatoes and simply makes the taste great!.
- In the days of my Grandma...nothing was wasted and if one had stale bread, it was used for stuffings, bread puddings, and Breaded tomatoes! Nothing went to waste!