My Grandmother loved Tomatoes and I used to help her can all her veggies from the garden. I was so glad for the experience as I turned to canning after I got married. Grandma made her breaded tomatoes with a bit of sugar and I found out when I started making them…the sugar is necessary for the acidity of the tomatoes.
I hope you like this side dish…
Grandma's Breaded Tomatoes
While growing up in the Midwest, this was on my Grandmother's table often. It is a quick and easy recipe using canned tomatoes and makes a great side dish.
Write a review
- 1 (28 ounce) can chunky peeled tomatoes, with liquid
- 3 slices stale bread, torn into pieces
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a heavy sauce pan, combine the tomatoes, bread, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cook until heated through and the bread has absorbed the tomato juice.(about 20 minutes)
- Do not eliminate the sugar as it takes away the acid of the tomatoes and simply makes the taste great!.
- In the days of my Grandma...nothing was wasted and if one had stale bread, it was used for stuffings, bread puddings, and Breaded tomatoes! Nothing went to waste!
Adapted from Kari
Adapted from Kari
Me and My Captain https://meandmycaptain.com/
Mary Passwaters says
What is an alternative commercially canned tomato product that I could use here? Stewed? Crushed? I ask because I live in an apartment where growing my own is not possible and I remember a very similar dish my Mama used to make and it was my favorite thing on Earth. She would simmer her home canned tomatoes and put nearly stale bread slices in and just let it simmer until it became something akin to heaven to taste. I don’t remember what she called it but I know I called it tomato bread pudding which I don’t know WHY I did, I just did. It was savory not sweet and served hot alongside fried fish which I hated and this stuff was the only way I would eat it, she had to agree to make it lol
Nothing went to waste in our house either, Kari. The recipe sounds good.
We had leftovers growing up and I still like them.
Once I was at a friend’s house (a much younger friend) and I noticed her fridge was spotless…with plenty of room. I asked her secret and she said she never saved left overs.