Butterscotch Pie is hardly made these days. I am not sure why because I like the caramel tasting custard. It kind of reminds me of those butterscotch candies we used to get in the Market.
If you make this and have not had Butterscotch Pie before…let me know what you think.
Butterscotch Pie with Meringue
Butterscotch Candies and Butterscotch puddings, all good...just as this butterscotch pie.
Write a review
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk (scalded)
- 3 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 baked 9 inch pastry shell
- Mix flour, brown sugar and salt in a heavy sauce pan
- Gradually add milk
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils
- Cook 2 minutes and remove from heat
- Add small amount to egg yolks (tempering)
- Stir into remaining hot mixture and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly
- Add butter and vanilla and let cool slightly
- Pour into the baked pastry shell and set aside to cool
- 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Add the egg whites into a stand or hand held mixer (I prefer to have my hands free so I use a stand mixer)
- Beat the egg whites until frothy
- Add the sugar and cream of tartar gradually
- Continue beating till mixture is stiff and glossy and holds a stiff peak (use a spoon to dip and lift the whites and if it does not drip back into the mixture, they are ready)
- Spread the meringue over the pie sealing to the edge of the pastry
- Bake in 350 degree oven until delicately browned, about 12-15 minutes
- I love making this pie from scratch..the above recipe.
- However, if you are short on time, you can buy the packaged Jell-O Butterscotch pudding and pie filling mix use that as your pie filling.
- To have a nice deep filling, I would recommend using two boxes. Each pie filling box requires 2 cups of milk (check the recipe on the box) and can be made in a short amount of time.
- You can also use a store bought pie shell.
Me and My Captain https://meandmycaptain.com/
Please comment, I'd love to hear from you.