Pineapple Pie is a good pie for a warm summer day…it just makes you think you are in the Islands somewhere, perhaps on a Pineapple Plantation and you are indulging in a slice of sweet pineapple.
You can make this pie open faced (no crust or meringue) and just top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yummy!
Pineapple Cream Pie with Meringue
A taste of the Islands, tropical water and warm summer breezes!
Write a review
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk (scalded)
- 3 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup well drained, crushed or pineapple tidbits
- 1 baked 9 inch pastry shell
- Mix flour, sugar and salt in a heavy sauce pan
- Gradually add milk
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils
- Cook 2 minutes and remove from heat
- Add small amount to egg yolks (tempering)
- Stir into remaining hot mixture and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly
- Add butter and vanilla and let cool slightly
- Add the crushed or tidbit pineapple
- Pour into the baked pastry shell and set aside to cool
- 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Add the egg whites into a stand or hand held mixer (I prefer to have my hands free so I use a stand mixer)
- Beat the egg whites until frothy
- Add the sugar and cream of tartar gradually
- Continue beating till mixture is stiff and glossy and holds a stiff peak (use a spoon to dip and lift the whites and if it does not drip back into the mixture, they are ready)
- Spread the meringue over the pie sealing to the edge of the pastry
- Bake in 350 degree oven until delicately browned, about 12-15 minutes
- This recipe can varied in so many ways...you can leave off the meringue and sprinkle brown sugar on top and add well drained maraschino cherries around the top in a pretty display, which makes for a pretty presentation. Kind of reminds you of a pineapple upside down cake.
Me and My Captain https://meandmycaptain.com/
Please comment, I'd love to hear from you.