I really like Spring and the fresh salads that go with. The first time we pull out the grill for hamburgers, I think of this easy salad. My Mother made this recipe a lot while we were growing up. My Aunt always made a variation of this recipe by using mayo and milk. Same ingredients, but more of a sweet dressing rather than the vinegar and oil. Please check that recipe out in the Salad Section.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family…and Me of course!
- 5 medium plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeded, and sliced (you can leave the seeds in if you prefer....my Mother always left the seeds in the tomato...she felt it was wasteful to toss the seeds)
- 1/4 of a large red onion, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced
- 1-2 cucumbers, depending on sizes of cukes... halve them lengthwise and slice (you can either peel the cucumber or leave the peel on)
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and black pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, add the tomatoes, onions, and cucumber, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. toss to distribute ingredients and liquids.
- Set aside to let the flavors marry together, about 20-30 minutes. I like to do this while I prepare the rest of the dinner. You can do a make ahead by putting in the fridge for several hours before serving.
- Using a fork, toss the ingredients just before serving.
- Sometimes I add a teaspoon of sugar just to give it that sweet and savory taste! Entirely up to you. I really like the sugar in this dish.
- Just sayin' 😉