This recipe came from a friend of mine from 40 years ago. Lila had an eye for presentation and this recipe was something her Mother prepared regularly. Lila called it “down home food” but there was no reason that the recipe had to be mundane….so she added scallions or parsley to make the meat balls more colorful.
A good recipe for meat balls in a gravy/sauce. Add either noodles, mashed potatoes, rice and a salad and you have a great week day dinner.
Try this recipe and see what you think !
Printable recipe below!
Mushroom Meat Balls
Meat Balls with a mushroom gravy/sauce. Delish! Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or noodles...
Write a review
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 pound of ground beef
- 1/2 pound of ground pork
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening or olive oil
- Blend the can of mushroom soup with the water, and set aside
- Measure out 1/4 cup of the soup mixture. set aside
- Combine the ground beef and ground pork
- Add the bread crumbs, the onion, parsley, salt and egg
- Add the 1/4 cup of soup mixture to the meat mixture and blend
- Shape into meat balls about 1 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat on medium heat
- Brown the meat balls, turning with two forks for even browning
- Turn heat to low and add remaining soup mixture
- Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- I like to saute 1 cup of sliced button mushrooms in olive oil and then add to the skillet about 5 minutes before the meat balls are done.
- I serve the meat balls with the sauce alone or with mashed potatoes, noodles or a wild rice.
- Garnish with chopped parsley or scallions.
Me and My Captain https://meandmycaptain.com/
Please comment, I'd love to hear from you.