Spaghetti and Meat Sauce! Who doesn’t like Spaghetti? This recipe is an old recipe that I have experimented with over the years and the Captain likes this version. I hope you do too.
I assembled the ingredients of ground beef, onion, garlic, basil, seasonings, olive oil, tomato paste, mushrooms, spaghetti, butter, grated parmesan and parmasan reggiano! I like to use both.
This is the chopped onions, basil and mushrooms and of course garlic powder.
Serve with a lettuce wedge and chopped tomatoes, red onion and cucumber.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes (I use the boxed Pomi tomatoes)
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves minced through grater or garlic press
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 pound of dry spaghetti
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- parmesan reggiano to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over low heat, (I use cast iron skillet).
- Add onion and saute with garlic until onion is transparent.
- Stir in butter and increase heat to medium
- Brown beef until no longer pink.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, chopped or sliced mushrooms and the chopped basil
- Lower heat and stir for about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and tomatoes to the meat mixture
- Simmer over very low heat for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of water to a vigorous boil with 3 tablespoons salt and 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Add spaghetti into water holding on to ends until strands soften a bit.
- Cook over high heat for 7 to 8 minutes only. When properly cooked, raw taste should be gone but still have a firm texture. I use a spaghetti pot which helps in not overcooking the pasta. It can drain which stops the cooking.
- When ready to serve, place a good portion of cooked spaghetti on a plate and top with the meat sauce
- Add chopped parsley and freshly grated parmesan reggiano cheese.