You have probably noticed, I love yeast rolls. Dinner rolls, Cinnamon rolls and these orange refrigerator rolls! So good.
I love the aroma of baking bread! It screams comfort food and I have never met anyone who can resist warm bread or rolls fresh from the oven.
Add citrus like orange zest and you have the blue ribbon prize!
I hope you like these orange refrigerator breakfast rolls.
Orange Refrigerator Breakfast Rolls
Orange refrigerator breakfast rolls are a very soft white flour dough with grated orange rind, butter and sugar filling. You will please anyone who eats these tender rolls.
Write a review
- 3 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (110 degrees )
- 1 cup butter, diced
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 2 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons grated orange zest
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Combine the diced butter, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the hot milk, and mix to dissolve the butter. Let stand until lukewarm.
- Mix the yeast, eggs, and flour into the milk mixture to form a sticky dough.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil.
- Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator 2 hours before baking.
- Divide the dough into halves. Roll each half out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick rectangle.
- Mix the softened butter, one cup sugar, and orange zest in a bowl. Spread over the dough. Roll up the dough along the long edge.
- Cut the rolls into one inch slices
- Place in greased muffin cups. Let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Overnight in the refrigerator is the key to these soft breakfast rolls.
- Use a serrated knife to slice your rolls. Some people say dental floss works well but I have good luck with the serrated knife.
- I used a powdered sugar icing. Make with small amount of milk and vanilla and mix to desired consistency. I added more orange zest to the icing to keep with the orange flavors.
Me and My Captain https://meandmycaptain.com/
[…] Orange Refrigerator Breakfast Rolls […]