Do you want a baked chicken that can be made ahead of time and popped into the oven just before dinner?
Then this is the recipe for you.
This is one of my “go to” recipes that works for company or family dinners.
The sauce is so tasty your family will want this dish a couple times a week…it is that good.
I like chicken thighs as they do not tend to dry out and I just like the flavor of the dark meat. The Captain prefers white meat, so I combine chicken breasts and thighs, although a whole chicken will bake nicely.
If you have little ones who prefer chicken strips…this recipe works for chicken tenderloins, too.
Side dishes are endless. Mashed potatoes, Rice, Couccous, and many other too numerous to mention. Add asparagus or broccoli or green beans.
Let me know if you try this recipe and what your thoughts are.
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 onion sliced very thin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place chicken pieces in a shallow baking pan, skin side up.
- Combine the melted butter or margarine, honey, mustard, salt, garlic, cayenne pepper, sliced onions and curry powder and pour the mixture over the chicken.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/4 hours, basting occasionally with pan drippings, until the chicken is nicely browned and tender and the juices run clear
- Cover the chicken with foil so it won't burn, remove the foil after 45 minutes and cook till it is a nice brown. I like to turn the oven up to 400 degrees for the last 15-20 minutes for extra crispiness. I like to use chicken thighs, but a whole chicken works just fine.
- After baking, remove some of the fat and you will have a nice sauce.
- A serving suggestion is to serve the chicken on a bed of long grain/wild rice and top with the sauce. Garnish with parsley or chopped green onion.
- If you are pressed for time make the chicken in the morning, cover with foil and put in the fridge. This allows the sauce to marry with the chicken which makes the taste even better.
- Endless possibilities.
Please comment, I'd love to hear from you.