Chocolate Caramel Cake…..simply delicious but very rich and decadent.
Recently I was poolside with a good friend who I will call “Dot”…she really likes polka dots of all sizes (and wears them frequently) so you know I had to give her a special name…..:)
Anyway, Dot and I were having our tea under the shade of a rust and white colored polka dot umbrella, which hovered above the round table when she announced she had made a cake she wanted me to try.
Of course, I will never turn down a slice of cake… and when I saw this cake….I was really impressed with not only the looks of the cake, but it was very moist and bursting with flavor!
The cake is made with a German Chocolate Cake Mix and Dot called it Chocolate Caramel Cake.
I asked her where she got the recipe and she said at the doctor’s office in one of the magazines. (isn’t that the best kind?)
Dot used Cool Whip to “frost” her cake and it was simply delicious.
A couple weeks ago, I decided to make this cake of Dot’s…but I decided to keep with the caramel flavor going on with the cake and I made a caramel frosting.
OH MY GOSH!!!!! Talk about a special cake….
I have added the Caramel Frosting Recipe below the Chocolate Caramel Cake Recipe.
There is a special ingredient in the Caramel Frosting that makes it even creamier and tastier.
It is called Dolce de Leche….which is becoming a frequent item now in most supermarkets.
When I lived in New Mexico, I found it almost always available.
Perhaps you are not familiar with Dolce de Leche.
It is basically sweetened milk that is cooked very slowly, until the mixture thickens and turns a darker color. The flavor has a metamorphosis during the slow, low heat and it becomes almost like pudding.
This is what it looks like and it is abundant in our Florida supermarkets. I have seen it at Wal-Mart also. (Goodness! what doesn’t Wal-Mart carry on their shelves?) 🙂
It is frequently used in Mexican desserts as well as Portuguese, Cuban and South American dishes.
There are other caramel frostings in my recipe file that are quite simple as melting butter and brown sugar.
BUT…. if you are wanting a special dessert for a special occasion….try this recipe for Chocolate Caramel Cake with Caramel Frosting….or do as Dot did and add Cool Whip!
Either way…it is simply delicious!
Have a great day….
- 1 German Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 can of sweetened condensed cream (14 ounce)
- 1 jar of caramel ice cream topping (12 ounce)
- 1 carton of Cool Whip, (8 ounce, thawed)
- 1 chocolate candy bar to make chocolate curls (optional)
- OR you can crumble a Heath bar over the top
- Bake cake in prepared layer cake pans or a 9″ X 13″ pan according to package directions. Remove cake from oven and immediately poke holes in the cake with a skewer and then pour sweetened condensed milk over the cake.
- Allow milk to soak into the cake and then pour caramel ice cream topping over the top.
- Be sure to allow the cake to cool completely. Frost cake with Cool Whip topping (or the caramel frosting recipe below.
- This cake is very rich but soooooo good. The easy frosting is the Cool Whip and you can add the chocolate curls or crumble a Heath Candy bar if desired.
- If you really want to be decadent....frost with the Caramel Frosting Recipe Below. 😉
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 1 can Dulce De Leche,(13.4 Ounce Can)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Using an electric mixer, mix the softened butter, the leche, the powdered sugar, vanilla and salt. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Spread on the caramel chocolate cake recipe above or on any cake.
- It is yummy!